Thursday, August 28, 2008

Free File Renaming Software

Do you ever have a set of computer files, like photos or student assignments that you want to name similarly so that you actually know something about them before you open them again or can find them again when the time comes weeks, months, or years later when you won't remember much about the filename?

Well, I do.

The BULK RENAMING UTILITY is a piece of free software that I use all the time. I use it mostly for photos that I download from my digital camera. I want to take 50 or 100 photos and add "2008-PattonFamilyReunion" to all the "IMG_5678" names. Come to think of it, I'll just clip that "IMG_ " part of the filename right off all those same filenames. I can do that easily, with just a few keystrokes with the renaming program.

You might collect student assignments in the form of electronic files. You may want to add "Fall-08-Report-01-" to each filename that you've collected in your file folder. That way, when you need to go back and find something, you can. Or it's grading time and you know how fried your brain gets while your grading and you want an easy way to find all the files for Report 1.

To download and use this free software just click the link:

Don't forget to download the PDF manual and save it somewhere you can find it later. But honestly, it's so intuitive and easy to use that I've never had to open the manual!

Although the software is free . . . donations are welcome at the software website.

I'm assembling a list of free software at The A&P Professor website . . . please send me your favorite examples of free software that you use in teaching your courses!
Screenshot of the Bulk Rename Utility main screen.
There are a LOT of options in renaming files . . . prefixes, suffixes, character substitutions, numbering, and more . . . but you don't have to use them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment